Home Water Myths Exposed Is Your Water Safe? Filtered vs Bottled Eco-Friendly Water Water Filter Comparison Where to Buy?
WFC Facebook Page
FAQs Links News
Is Your Tap Water Safe?

Yes and No. Your tap water will not normally make you sick. However it may contain small amounts of pollutants that could stress and wear down your body. These contaminants can also collect in remain in your body and over time the accumulation of toxins could lead to sickness, cancer and even death. There are literally thousands of different contaminants that can make their way into your tap water. While many of these pollutants are harmless and benign, some are dangerous and are detrimental to your health. Below is a list of the most dangerous contaminants that are found in city and well water sources.
These 5 Contaminants Should Never be Consumed!
Arsenic is a toxic mineral that is found naturally occurring in soil and water. This chemical is often found in ground water where it is released from the sediment due to anoxic conditions of the subsurface. Because of this, people who drink well water have to be particularly careful to screen for and remove this contaminant. Arsenic has many allotropic forms and is a very poisonous metal used in pesticides, herbicides and insecticides. It is also a known carcinogen and cancer rates around the world rise with people's increased exposure to this chemical in drinking water. Reverse osmosis and distillation systems will remove arsenic from the water but carbon filters cannot treat this contaminant.
Water Well Arsenic is more commonly found in well water but can also show up in tap water.
Chromium is a hard metal that can be found in the naturally occurring minerals crocoite and chromite. It is one of the most abundant elements in the earth's crust and can be found in the environment including in soil, sea water and even the groundwater that people use for drinking and cleaning. Chromium is toxic and can cause kidney and liver damage as well as cancer when exposed at higher levels. In order to remove chromium from drinking water, a reverse osmosis system can be installed at the point of use in the kitchen to remove up to 98% of this toxic mineral from tap water. Carbon based countertop, faucet and pitcher filters cannot remove chromium from the water.
#3 - LEAD
Lead is one of the oldest heavy metals and has been used throughout human history because of its ease in extraction and workability. Unfortunately lead is also highly poisonous and can cause blood and brain disorders and adversely effect every organ and system in the body. It can also cause cancer, stroke and high blood pressure and is particularly harmful to developing children and infants. Often found in tap water, lead can be reduced by carbon filters under the right pH conditions. However carbon filters are ineffective against higher concentrations of lead in water. A multi-stage reverse osmosis system would be the better option and would remove up to 99% of lead from the water.
Chlorine is a chemical used by many municipal water plants to sanitize and disinfect city water to make it safe for drinking. A known toxin, chlorine is detectable in concentrations as low as 1 ppm. Coughing and vomiting may occur at 30 ppm and lung damage at 60 ppm. About 1000 ppm can be fatal after a few deep breaths of the gas. Chlorine is considered poisonous at higher levels, but even in small amounts it can irritate people's eyes, sinuses and other mucus membranes. It is a powerful oxidant that damages protein on our hair and skin leading to itching and flaking. The real issue is not just how toxic chlorine itself is but how the unintended byproducts of chlorine (organochlorines and dioxins) remain in the environment. They are persistent in the environment; they do not break down readily and therefore bio-accumulate. The cumulative effects of dioxin in humans have been linked to birth defects, cancer, reproductive disorders and immune system breakdown. Activated carbon filters will reduce most of the chlorine from municipal tap water. Reverse osmosis systems with carbon pre-filters will also treat up to 99% of chlorine in the water.
Chlorine Danger
Fluoride is a form of fluorine and can be found in naturally occurring water that has been exposed to the minerals fluorite and fluorapatite. Some fluoride is also the industrialized waste or by-product of certain industries. Compounds found in fluoride were thought to prevent tooth decay which has lead the the water fluoridation of many cities throughout the United States. However recent research is beginning to show that the benefits of fluoride is very questionable whereas the negative effects are frightenly real. Long term exposure to fluoride can lead to severe dental fluorosis, skeletal fluorosis and weakened bones. If it does this much damage to your hard bones, imagine the damage it will do to your soft tissues, internal organs and glands where fluoride is also known to accumulate at high levels. Fluoride is also a suspected carcinogen and is toxic which is why it is never recommended for people to swallow toothpaste even in small amounts. (Just look at the Emergency Room warning on your toothpaste tube!) Reverse osmosis systems will remove up to 95% of the fluoride from city water. Basic carbon filters unfortunately cannot remove fluoride.
We live in a very TOXIC world!
There are literally over 100,000+ toxic contaminants that can pollute our water if we include all the natural and man-made chemicals, pharmaceutical drugs and heavy metals used by human beings. When you consider that scientists are creating thousands of new chemicals and drugs every year, it soon becomes clear that modern life dishes out a daily toxic stew and we are all consumers.
Let's forget about water for a second. From processed foods and personal hygiene products to the very air we breathe, people are already ingesting and absorbing many unnatural chemical toxins on a daily basis. This explains why cancer rates in the US has skyrocketed in the past 50 years and continues to increase every year. While it will be hard to ask people to eat only organic vegetables and hormone free meat, or wear masks daily to filter out air pollution, it is not unreasonable to ask them to install a water filter to remove toxins from their water.
Our bodies are constantly bombarded by toxins every single day.
Modern World
The truth is, the more toxins we can remove from our daily lives the better. While your body will filter out many toxins on its own, it will retain some toxins and could eventually breakdown from too much accumulation over time. Toxins that buildup in our bodies can cause serious illness including organ damage and cancer leading to death. Water filtration is one of the least expensive, and easiest ways for us to reduce our daily exposure to toxins and improve our long term health and well-being.
Other Harmful Water Contaminants
Why do You Need a Water Filter?

Because your body is a "natural" water filter. The human body collects, processes, and filters contaminants on a daily basis from the food, water and air that we consume. If you drink water with high levels of pollutants, your body then becomes a living filter of sorts. It will remove many contaminants on its own but whatever it cannot remove will be left behind to be absorbed or deposited in your tissues and organs. Over time, the accumulation of toxic contaminants could overwhelm your body's natural defenses leading to serious disease, cancer and death.

It is easy to replace a bad cartridge with a new one when a water filter fails. It is much harder to replace any valuable organs when the human body fails.

Don't use your body as the filter!

Home FAQs Links News
Water Myths Exposed Is Your Water Safe? Filtered vs Bottled Eco-Friendly Filters Water Filter Comparison Where to Buy?